|Craw. Co EMS:||724-6435|
|Craw. Co Ambulance:||724-4721|
|After Hrs. Water/Elec:||724-6216|
Downtown Facade Grant Program
- Created on 25 April 2016
- Hits: 21247
The City of Girard and the Girard Area Chamber of Commerce have partnered to establish a façade program that will accomplish two objectives:
1 Assist commercial property owners inside the improvement zone with storefront improvements.
2 Provide an incentive to accomplish needed improvements with a completion date of Spring 2017 to coincide with the Streetscape project’s timeline for completion.
How does the Program Work?
Grant awards from $500 up to $1,500 are available. Property owners must invest at least $500 toward façade improvements. Grant funds may provide a dollar-for-dollar match for eligible commercial property owners who invest at least $500 and may not exceed $1,500. Corner lots with significant or double façade exposure may request an additional $500. This grant will be a revolving grant cycle as long as there is funding available.
- Applicant MUST be the property owner.
- Grant funds may provide 50% of total project cost, up to $1500 max.
- Property owners must submit receipts for approved expenses for reimbursement once improvements have been completed. Approved reimbursements will be made within 30 days.
- Application forms are available at www.girardkansas.gov or may be picked up at City Hall or the Girard Area Chamber of Commerce office. First review of applications will be 5:00 p.m. on May 31st, 2016. Notification of grant awards will be made by June 3rd.
- Applications must include written OR engineered plan describing proposed improvements, detailing any of the following:
- Awning repair• Window repair or replacement
- Exterior siding/brickwork/plaster repairs• Painting
- Budget outlining project expenditures with a breakdown for property owner expenditures and proposed use of grant funds.
Who Can Apply for Funding?
Any commercial property or building owner can apply for funding assistance. The project site must be located within the improvement zone (from the four-way stop intersection of K-47 and K-7 highway to and including the downtown square). façade assistance may be made available to applicants based on phased boundaries of the downtown Streets- cape project. That is, different sections of the downtown may be offered the assistance at different times according to the funding availability.
What Improvements are Eligible for Funding?
Projects must conform to the City of Girard Building Code. The City Community Develop- ment Director will assist applicants with these requirements at their convenience and by appointment.
Examples of ELIGIBLE improvements include:
- Replacement or repair of brickwork, plaster or wood siding, including painting, cleaning and repainting.
- Replacing, repairing, or relocating storefronts, doors, or windows including the removal of extraneous elements or inappropriate or incompatible exterior finishes or materials.
- Change of exterior lighting, or additional lighting
- Repairs, addition or installation of awnings (per city code)
Examples of INELIGIBLE activities include:
- Alarm systems.
- New building construction.
- Electrical work that involves more than service to the façade.
- Any interior work.
- Roof repairs, except those portions that directly abut to a new or renovated façade.
- Any items that are not allowed by the KS Building Code or the Girard City Code
- Parking lots and parking lot striping
- Installation or improvement of permanently installed signage as the only renovation activity. In other words, signage may not be the only activity undertaken with the façade improvement grant. Also, signage must be a permanent installed feature of the façade and may not be portable or removable.
How does the Application Process Work?
Applications may be downloaded at www.girardkansas.gov or picked up at City Hall at 120 N. Ozark, Girard, KS.
Applications for the first review must be submitted by 4:30 p.m. on May 27, 2016 to: Girard Area Chamber of Commerce, PO Box 41, Girard, KS 66743
An informational meeting will be held on April 18th, 2016 at 5pm at the Girard Civic Center. An overview of the grant application process will be provided.
Chamber and City staff will be present to respond to questions and assist prop- erty
owners with needed resources.
What Happens after a Project is Selected for Funding?
Work selected for a matching grant must be completed by June 2017 to coincide with the anticipated completion of the Girard Streetscape project.
The owner of a selected project agree to allow the City of Girard/Girard Area Chamber to promote an approved project including, but not limited to, displaying a sign at the site during and after construction and using photographs and descriptions of the project in future City of Girard marketing materials.